U.S. employers are finding it increasingly difficult to find skilled workers, according to a survey by the National Association for Business Economics 35 percent of the 112 economists who participated reported their firms had seen shortages of skilled labor.
The future workforce is predicted to continue to struggle with finding the right talent with the right skills to drive business forward.
We surveyed numerous industries over the past year and asked the leaders – what are the skills that are needed?
Over 1000 responses listed the following as the top evolutionary skills needed for the current and future workforce:
- On the job technology knowledge – relevant skills to doing the actual job hired for.
- Leadership skills – the ability to have everyone regardless of title be able to ‘think’ and ‘act’ like a leader
- Team player skills – the ability to be a true team player and work successfully with diverse teams
- Change management skills – the ability to respond and navigate fast changing situations
How can employers provide the necessary training and prepare the future workforce with evolutionary skills needed to be future ready?
There are 3 ways:
1. Do a skills assessment of each employee to see where they are now with the skills needed to do their job and set goals for development of those skills to the next level.
2. Evaluate the best E learning and online learning options – a recent statistic in Forbes states that the online learning industry is poised to be THE key resource for providing the skill development that is needed for the future workforce. Industry.com indicated that E learning has increased as a skill development resource by 44% and growing rapidly.
3. Support all training whether in person, on line or virtual with coaching to ensure that the ‘training sticks’ – coaching is THE tool to integrate what each individual learns. Look for E Learning programs that have coach support that includes case studies and on the job application.
We are pleased to launch a resource that provides solutions to the evolutionary skills gap. Our training and coaching site joineln.com provides online leadership/change leadership/shared leadership/transformational leadership and evolutionary leadership programs. We offer the programs in online version only or online with coach support.